CENTRE FOR ASSAULT RECOVERY OF ELDORET (CAR-E)
Located at Moi Teaching and Referral Hospital’s Accident and Emergency Room 6, Centre for Assault Recovery of Eldoret (CAR-E) was established in 2007 by Moi Teaching and Referral Hospital in partnership with AMPATH, Kenya Police, German Development Cooperation and the Legal Aid Centre of Eldoret.
The need for the Centre was due to a growing increase in number of sexual abuse and gender based violence with a mission of providing a safe, kind and respectful environment for the diagnosis, treatment and prevention of sexual and gender based violence.
They offer the following services:
• Inpatient and outpatient services 24 hours daily
• Evaluation of the survivor which includes history taking, monitoring vital signs and initial counseling which is done by the medical officer and Nurse on duty
• Examination where forensic evidence is collected for analysis. Tests for pregnancy and other diseases are carried out and appropriate treatment is given
• Psychological counseling is offered to the survivor
• Temporary shelter is offered for close support and monitoring until one is physically and psychologically well to be discharged from the unit.
• Legal action is provided where the survivor records a statement at the Police Station for legal action against the perpetrator and then the survivor is referred to LACE for legal advice
• Follow-up is done for up to six months which includes home visits to the survivor’s home
• Support groups
• Advocacy through creating awareness through the media. The Centre also visits schools and the public for sensitization on prevention of SGBV. They also work hand in hand with the Legal Aid Centre of Eldoret
The Centre offers free medical, psychological and legal services to its clients.
Hotline: +254 746 963 222