Covid-19 (Coronavirus Disease -2019) is a respiratory infection caused by a common virus that causes flu and pneumonia.
Covid- 19 spreads through droplets when an infected person coughs or sneezes. It can also spread through touching contaminated surfaces and touching the face,eyes,nose or mouth
Fever, cough, sore throat, shortness of breath, body aches, fatigue, diarrhoea, headache
Being in close contact with someone known to have COVID-19, or living or visiting an area with ongoing spread of COVID-19.
Coronavirus is a large virus and will mostly drop and settle on surfaces but with certain conditions it can survive in the air for upto 45 minutes.
- Avoid close contact with people who are infected.
- Avoid touching your Mouth, Eyes and Nose ( M.E.N.) with unwashed hands.
- Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds.
- Use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer that contains at least 60% alcohol if soap and water are not available.
- Wear a face mask when leaving your house at all times
- Cover your cough or sneeze into a flexed elbow or a tissue, then throw the tissue in the garbage.
- Clean and disinfect frequently touched objects and surface
- Keep social distance of at least 2 metres from people with flu-like symptoms.
- Avoiding shaking hands, hugging or kissing with people
- Stay at home and avoid travel when you have flu-like symptom
- If you are having symptoms, please contact your nearest facility preferably by phone
- Early detection and treatment can contribute greatly to survival of the patient.
MTRH is monitoring the Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19) outbreak from both the National and Global perspective and is taking measures to ensure that we are prepared to manage cases referred for testing and care. Through the combined proficiency and committed efforts of all members of staff, the Hospital has taken various measures to contain Manage, Control/Suppress the Pandemic
A Multi-disciplinary Taskforce is in place to consistently monitor the COVID-19 outbreak and to make recommendations to the Hospital Management around Prevention, Mitigation and the Management of any COVID-19 cases. The Thematic Teams in place are; Laboratory and Testing; Treatment; Nursing Care Services; Infrastructure and Servicescape; Epidemiology and Disease Surveillance; Mental Health and Farewell Home Services; Human Resource & Logistics and Communication. Through the taskforce and the thematic teams, various protocols have been developed and shared with County Governments and Private Hospitals.
Training of frontline workers has been a key area of focus over the past 2 months. Health workers, Police Officers, Security Agents, County Administration from MTRH, NOREB Counties and Private Hospitals have been taken through infection prevention control, case management, epidemiology and diseases surveillance, mental health aspects of covid-19 and coping mechanisms.
On 15th March 2020, MTRH commenced COVID-19 testing through it’s AMPATH Care Laboratory which has capability to test over 900 persons per day. This laboratory serves patients, frontline healthcare workers, and other clients from the region.
You can reach us through MTRH COVID-19 Hotline on 0110052150 for any enquiries.