The Nephrology Department at Moi Teaching and Referral Hospital(MTRH) is located on the first floor of Chandaria Cancer and Chronic Diseases Centre (CCCDC). The Unit is a one-stop-shop where clients receive services. The Department has a multi-disciplinary team including; a Pediatric Nephrologist, Adult Nephrologists, Transplant Surgeons, Anesthetists
Pharmacists, Health Administrator, Transplant Coordinators, Corporate Communication Officer, Renal Trained Nurses, Psychological Counselor, Medical Social Workers, Biomedical Technologists, Nutritionists, Records Officers, Supply Chain Officers, Billing Officers, Stewards, Security and Patient Attendants.
The following services are offered in the Department:
- Consultations and review of all patients requiring Nephrology services at MTRH.
- Hemodialysis- a way of cleansing the blood of toxins, extra salt and fluids through a dialysis machine. It helps maintain proper chemical balance such as potassium, sodium and chloride and keeps blood pressure under control.
- MTRH has the largest Hemodialysis unit in the Country and only Centre in the country offering Pediatric Hemodialysis.
- Hemodialysis machines dedicated for Hepatitis B positive for clients who are unable to get this service in their institution of choice.
- Haemodiafiltration – a superior type of hemodialysis that offers a better clearance of waste from the patient blood leading to better patient outcome.
- Dialysis for critically ill patients who requiring highly specialized care.
- Other services include: access creation, permanent catheter insertion, acute catheter insertion, facilitate AVF creation, facilitate catheter insertions under ultrasound guidance for patients who have vascular complications, acute Paediatric/Neonatal Peritoneal dialysis.
- Kidney Transplantation: MTRH is the only public health facility in the Western Region of Kenya that offers Kidney Transplant services on a weekly basis.
Monday – Paediatric
Tuesday – Trasplants
Wednesday – Adult general clinic