Physiotherapy is a health profession that addresses illness/injury that limit a person’s ability to move and perform routine activities in their daily lives.
It uses evidence-based kinesiology, exercise prescriptions, health education, mobilization, electrical, manual therapy and physical agents, as well as undertaking research projects.
Physiotherapy services at Moi Teaching and Referral Hospital(MTRH) falls under the Directorate of Mental Health and Rehabilitative Services. It has 36 Qualified staff who use their knowledge and skills to improve a range of conditions associated with different systems of the body such as Neurological, Neuromusculoskeletal, cardiovascular, respiratory, woman health, pediatrics and sports as such they offer services in the following units in the Hospital:
- Physiotherapy outpatient comprises of a treatment area and a gymnasium with the following equipment, shortwave diathermy, and Microwave diathermy. Tens machine, En tree pulley, Quadriceps bench, Treadmills, among others.
- Private wing I and II for both In-patient and Outpatient.
- Surgical wards.
- Medical wards.
- Cardiac Unit.
- Riley Mother and Baby Hospital (Obstetrics) and Gynecology wards.
- Shoe4Africa (Pediatrics).
- Intensive Care Unit (ICU) and high Dependency Unit (HDU).
- Neonatal ICU (NICU).
The department participates actively in both local and International sports.
- Operates from Monday to Friday from 8.00am – 5.00pm.
- Wards – Daily inclusive of weekends.
- ICU/HDU – 24 Hour coverage.