Psychological Counseling Department is one of the Departments under Directorate of Mental Health and Rehabilitative Services at Moi Teaching and Referral Hospital (MTRH) with a mandate to provide psychological counseling services to patients-both Outpatient and Inpatient. The Department also takes staff through debriefing sessions under Employee Assistance Program (EAP).
Main Services offered by Psychological Department
- Group therapy.
- Family/ Couple therapy.
- Trauma counseling.
- Addiction counseling
- Psychological debriefing/ psychological first Aid (such as disasters, COVID-19 etc)
- Crisis counseling.
- Community psychological health education.
- Child/Adolescence Counseling.
- Counseling to Sexual and gender based violence victims, at CAR-E ( Centre for Assault Recovery-Eldoret)
- Psychotherapy for maladjustment and emotional disorders (such as depression, suicidal clients etc)
- Provision of baseline psychological assessment to family members of patients admitted for critical care, to identify their needs from time to time and actively involve them in the care of the patient and inform them on the status of the patient(s) to prepare them for any possible outcome.
- Carrying out clinical assessment by use of internationally accepted evidence based practical models/tools to make an accurate diagnosis of psychological conditions.
- Tele-counseling to COVID-19 positive patients and their relatives admitted in the Hospital or home-based care.
- Medical play therapy to children to enhance compliance to treatment and ease preparation for surgery.
Psychological Counselling HoD Office extension – 2425
Operating hours 24/7
Day duty- 8 am to 5 pm
Night calls – 5 pm to 8 am
Weekends/public holidays have services fully offered.