The Legal Department is charged with the responsibility of ensuring Legal and Statutory Compliance in the Institution and reports directly to the Chief Executive Officer.
The specific functions of the Department include:
- Rendering legal assistance through preparation of legal opinions, reports and correspondence as required from time to time by management and various departments.
- Carrying out Litigation.
- Ensuring provision of appropriate legal advice on a diverse range of substantive and procedural questions of law in administrative functioning of the Hospital, to firmly secure the interests of the Hospital and its clients.
- Advising on and assessing the Level of Compliance to Legislative provisions.
- Monitoring performance of the panel of lawyers and rendering advice on formation of new panels.
- Providing Legal advice on Procurement processes;
- Assisting the Finance Department on debt follow-up for the Institution;
- Conducting Training and Dissemination of appropriate advice to staff on compliance issues;
- Managing and administering the Corporate Legal Documentation and contracts;
- Drafting, reviewing and negotiating of contracts, MoU’s and other legal documents as required by the institution and various departments.
These functions are carried out by In-House Advocates and Legal Clerks retained by the Hospital.
The Department also offers internship and attachment opportunities to law students with interest in medico-legal practice.