Psychological Counseling Department is one of the Departments under the Directorate of Mental Health and Rehabilitative Services; its mandate is to provide 24-hours psychological counseling services in the Hospital to patients/clients both at outpatient and inpatient service points, Psychological debriefing/first Aid to MTRH staff and also outpatient rehabilitation to staff under Employee Assistance Program (EAP).
Services offered include:
- Individual Counseling
- Group Therapy
- Family/Couple therapy
- Trauma Counseling
- Addiction Counseling
- Psychological debriefing/ psychological first Aid (such as disasters, COVID-19 etc)
- Crisis Counseling
- Community psychological health education and outreach services
- Child/Adolescence Counseling
- Counseling to Sexual and gender based violence victims, at CAR-E ( Centre for Assault Recovery-Eldoret)
- Psychotherapy for maladjustment and emotional disorders (such as depression, suicidal clients etc)
Other Service innovations under the Department include;
- Provision of baseline psychological assessment to family members of patients admitted for critical care to identify their needs from time to time and actively involve them in the care of the patient.
- Carrying out clinical Psychological assessment/Psychometric tests by use of internationally accepted evidence based practice models/tools to make an accurate diagnosis of psychopathological conditions.
- Tele-counseling to COVID-19 positive patients and their relatives admitted in the Hospital or on Home-Based Isolation & Care.
- Offering emotional and psychological support/psycho-education to mental health patients admitted at MTRH transitional Home.